JCPenney outlet stores fade to black
October 2, 2013-- Home Textiles Today,
Columbus, Ohio - Going out of business sales began today at all 15 JC's 5 Star Outlet/JCPenney Outlet stores due to flagging sales.
JCPenney entered the outlet business with the 1962 purchase of the General Merchandise Company mail order business in Milwaukee, Wis. The following year, it opened a second store in the state to unload overstock and discontinued merchandise and continued to expand mostly in the South and Midwest. In 2011, JCPenney sold the group to SB Acquisitions.
"The closing of the outlets was necessitated by the precipitous decline of sales," said Glen Gammons, the former head of the JCPenney outlet store division, and ceo of JC's 5 Star Outlet. "After exploring all the alternatives, we could no longer incur the losses resulting from the continued operation of the Outlet stores."
The store locations include:
- Decatur Mall, , Decatur, Ala.
- Arizona Mills Mall, Tempe, Ariz.
- Ontario Mills Mall, Ontario, Calif.
- Sawgrass Mills Mall, Sunrise, Fla.
- 5500 S. Expressway, Forest Park, Ga.
- Machesney Park Mall, Machesney Park, Ill.
- 9495 W. 75th Street, Overland Park, Kan.
- 3430 Preston Highway, Louisville, Ken.
- Jamestown Mall, Florissant, Mo.
- 190 East Glendale Avenue, Sparks, Nev.
- 2361 Park Crescent Drive Rolling Acres Mall, Akron, Ohio
- Fairgrounds Square Mall, Reading, Pa.
- Grapevine Mills Mall, Grapevine, Texas
- Liberty Fair Mall, Martinsville, Va.
Related Content By Author
More From the NY Market: It's All About Product!