December comps mostly positive
Retail Editor 3 -- Home Textiles Today, January 3, 2013
New York - Key retailers by and large were encouraged by their December sales and comp results, as most posted increases - but some increases were lower than expected.
- Costco Wholesale Club: up 8.0%.
- Ross Stores : up 6.0%, ahead of expectations for a 2-3% increase.
- TJMaxx Cos.: up 6.0%. Customer traffic drove the comp increases at all divisions.
- Stein Mart: up 5.9% thanks to strong sales in sales in linens, ladies' boutique and ladies' career sportswear.
- Macy's Inc.: up 4.1%, slightly below expectations. Online sales for macys.com and bloomingdales.com combined were up 51.7% in December and 40.4% year-to-date.
- Kohl's: up 3.4%, which was lower than expected as promotional activity exceeded plan.
- The Bon-Ton Stores: up 2.4%.
- Alco Stores: up 1.1%
- Target Corp.: flat at 0.0% and below expectations. A late surge did not compensate for weakness during the first three weeks of the month.
- Fred's: down 4.2%, with lower purchases of discretionary and weather-related merchandise.
December's overall same-store sales rose 4.1%, according to the Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index.
Related Content By Author
Industry Related Content
H&TTtv Talks Outdoor Rugs