BTS/BTC gave retailers a boost August
August 30, 2012,
New York - In addition to TJX and Ross Stores - which have scored consistent monthly comp gains - several stores that have recently struggled managed to increase same-store sales in August.
- Ross Stores: Comps up 8.0%. The company said name brand bargains for back-to-school drove healthy traffic during the month.
- TJX: Comps up 8.0%, with comps in the Marmaxx Group up 9.0%. The retailer credited strong traffic.
- Stein Mart: Comps up 5.6%. Linens among the top performers during the month. The company said overall sales were strongest for regularly priced merchandise.
- Macy's: Comps up 5.1%. The strength was broad-based across merchandise categories as well as geographies and channels.
- Target: Comps up 4.2 %. Sales were stronger in the second half of the month, primarily due to back-to-school and back-to-college shopping.
- The Bon-Ton Stores: Comps up 2.2%. A refined assortment and more compelling marketing aided performance, which included growth in home.
- Kohl's: Comps up 3.4%. The company cited better merchandise content, inventory levels and marketing strategies.
- Alco: Comps down 0.9%. The drought in the Midwest - the worst in 50 years - partially impacted results.
- Fred's: Comps down 2.8%. Back-to-school sales got a late start, but put the retailer ahead of its guidance for the month.
Related Content By Author
1200 Suppliers are Ready for You at Intertextile Shanghai
Home & Textiles Today eDaily
Most Viewed Articles
See the August 2017 issue of Home & Textiles Today. In this issue, we look at the Top 50 Retailing Giants Report, plus Manufacturing: Made in the USA gaining ground; International: Portugal ramping up exports; New products: NY Now home textiles introductions; Outlook: Commentary from H&TT's editors; and Planning: Trade show calendar.