FTC extends deadline for comments on Textile Act
Retail Editor 5 -- Home Textiles Today, January 6, 2012
New York - The Federal Trade Commission is seeking industry input on potential changes to the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act and has extended the deadline to Feb. 2, according to an advisory bulletin by HFPA counsel Meeks, Sheppard, Leo & Pillsbury.
The act currently requires textiles products covered under the regulation to carry a label identifying the generic names and percentage of the item's constituent fibers, the name under which the manufacturer or other responsible company does business (or its RN number) and the name of the country in which the product was processed or manufactured.
The FTC is seeking input on 23 questions, including whether to:
• Modify the provision addressing generic fiber names so that the reference to the international standard for manufactured fibers reflects the updated standard; Clarify the provisions addressing textile products containing elastic material and "trimmings;"
• Address the use of multiple languages in making required disclosures;
• Clarify disclosure requirements applicable to written advertising, including Internet advertising;
• Clarify or revise the list of exclusions from the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act;
• Add or clarify definitions of terms set forth in the Rules;
• Modify its consumer and business education materials and continue printing paper copies of those materials.
"The FTC also seeks comment on: (1) the benefits and costs of the requirement of the Textile Act that, under certain circumstances, businesses use identification issued by the FTC; and (2) the extent to which retailers obtain guarantees and continuing guarantees for textile products and whether the extent or manner of importation indicates that the guarantee provisions of the Act and Rules should be modified," according to attorney Robert Leo.
Comments will post to www.ftc.gov/os/publiccomments.shtm.
Industry Related Content
Celebrity Branding at NY Home Fashions Market