March comps shine for most key retailers
Home & Textiles Today Staff -- Home Textiles Today, April 5, 2012
New York - This winter's unusually warm weather coupled with Easter falling two weeks earlier than last year made for sunny same-store sales for many key retailers.
As has been the case for several consecutive months, the strongest performers were off-price competitors TJX Cos. and Ross Stores followed closely by Target and Macy's. All reported better-than-expected comps.
Once again, those posting the weakest results included mid-tier department stores Bon-Ton and Stein Mart.
Among the 10 stores HTT tracks monthly, only Fred's reported flat comps.
- Ross Stores, up 10%. Home not mentioned among the best perfomers.
- TJX Cos., up 10%. MarMaxx home comps up just 1%, though comps at Home Goods rose 6%. Combined overall comps for Canada - Winners and Home Sense - rose 8%.
- Macy's, up 7.3%. No mention of home performance. Online sales for Macy's and Bloomingdales combined rose 39% last month.
- Target Corp., up 7.3%. Home comps were up in the low single digit range.
- Costco Wholesale Corp., up 5% for the U.S. division, excluding fuel sales. Including gasoline, comps up 6%.
- Kohl's Corp., up 3.6%. Home comps were negative, especially in discretionary categories.
- Duckwall-Alco, up 2.3%. Home comps were up, led by furniture, plastic storage and seasonal appliances.
- Stein Mart Inc., down 0.3%. Linens among the strongest performing categories for comps.
- The Bon-Stores Inc., down 0.1%. Home was not mentioned among the top performers.
Mednick Talks to HTT about Online Trends for Textiles