Retail sales rose in November
Retail Editor 4 -- Home Textiles Today, December 13, 2012
Washington - November retail sales (excluding automobiles, gas stations and restaurants) increased 0.8% seasonally adjusted from October and increased 4.4% unadjusted year-over-year, a performance NRF described as a "solid start" to the holiday season.
Furniture and home furnishing stores' sales increased 1.0% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and increased 6.5 percent unadjusted year-over-year.
With the November numbers in hand, NRF reiterated its forecast for a 4.1% boost to holiday sales in 2012.
"A successful Thanksgiving weekend for retailers and diminishing impacts in the Northeast due to Hurricane Sandy put retail sales back on track in November after tepid results in October," said NRF president and ceo Matthew Shay. "Though negotiations in Washington over the fiscal cliff could effect consumer confidence and spending in December, overall we are optimistic they we'll see solid sales growth this holiday season."
November retail sales, released today by the U.S. Department of Commerce, showed total retail and food services sales (which include non-general merchandise categories such as automobiles, gasoline stations, and restaurants) increased 0.3% seasonally adjusted month-to-month and 3.7% unadjusted year-over-year.
Aside from furniture and home furnishing stores, other segment results included:
Other findings from the November retail sales report include:
- Clothing and clothing accessories stores' sales increased 0.9% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and increased 8.8% unadjusted year-over-year.
- Electronics and appliance stores' sales increased 2.5% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and increased 0.2% unadjusted year-over-year.
- General merchandise stores' sales decreased 0.9% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and decreased 1.1% unadjusted year-over-year.
- Health and personal care stores' sales increased 0.6% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and increased 0.5% unadjusted year-over-year.
- Nonstore retailers' sales increased 3.0% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and 12.3% unadjusted year-over-year.
- Sporting goods, hobby, book and music stores' sales increased 0.5% seasonally-adjusted month-to-month and increased 7.9% unadjusted year-over-year.
Celebrity Branding at NY Home Fashions Market