Target, JCP hit the road for the holidays
Retail Editor 3 -- Home Textiles Today, November 27, 2012
Mississauga, Ontario, and Plano, Texas - Target and JCPenney each will engage in multi-city tours during the holiday shopping season, but with different goals in mind.
Target, which will open its first Canadian stores in spring 2013, is kicking off a holiday road trip in Halifax, Nova Scotia on Nov. 30 that will conclude in British Columbia in mid-December. The visits will include readings of holiday classics by Canadian celebrities, along with holiday treats, a craft and play zone, and an opportunity to have a photo taken with Bullseye the dog.
JCPenney today launched a 12-day Holiday Giving Tour that will include a range of activities that vary by city.
- Nov. 27: New York - In partnership with #GivingTuesday, New Yorkers can attend a complimentary performance by John Legend followed by free ice skating, skate rentals and hot chocolate throughout the afternoon at CitiPond at Bryant Park.
- Nov. 28: Langhorne, Pa. - Lumberjacks will distribute complimentary firewood outside JCP's Oxford Valley Mall store.
- Nov. 29: Orlando - Penney will replace toll booth attendants with Santas. For every toll paid, JCP will match with a donation to The Salvation Army up to $10,000.
- Nov. 30: Knoxville, Tenn. - A miniature JCPenney-branded blimp will drop small gifts to unsuspecting pedestrians in Market Square.
- Dec. 1: Dallas - Residents of warm-weather Dallas will get a chance to sled down a customized tobogganing hill at Flagpole Hill Park.
- Dec. 2: New Orleans - The JCP store at Oakwood Shoping Center will turning its parking lot into an ice skating rink.
- Dec. 3: Chicago - A cashmere-clad Santa will hand out JCP cashmere scarves, hats and more in downtown Chicago.
- Dec. 4: Alamosa, Colo. - The small town will receive a fully decorated, Rockefeller Center-sized Christmas tree and lighting ceremony.
- Dec. 5: Kemmerer, Wyo. - Home of JCP's first "Golden Rule" store, the retailer will take over the local town car wash. Without having to get out of their cars that morning, the residents of Kemmerer can drive through a tented elf-staffed assembly line receiving hot cider or coffee, a $10 JCP gift card, a breakfast burrito from a local restaurant, and a car wash by jolly Santas.
- Dec. 6: Portland, Ore. - A local artist will create a pointillism portrait made out of hundreds of live poinsettias outside Pioneer Courthouse Square and at the end of the day, residents will be invited to take them home.
- Dec. 7: Phoenix - A team of helpful "elves" will offer complimentary valet service at the Paradise Valley JCPenney store.
- Dec. 8: Los Angeles, Calif. - Blake Shelton will give an exclusive, acoustic holiday performance outside the JCP store at Westfield Culver City.
Industry Related Content
Celebrity Branding at NY Home Fashions Market