JCP: Price Tweaks a Tactic, Not a Strategy Change
November 27, 2012,
Insisting the new JCP is not retreating from its streamlined pricing strategy and elimination of promotions, he described a series of steps that certainly lean in that direction.
• While the customer "knows what the right price is" for merchandise, she still likes to see a comparison price. So signs are going up listing the manufacturer's suggested price (with a slash through it) along with JCP's everyday price. This is still Fair + Square pricing, said Jonshon. It just gives the customer a point of reference.
• When a national brand holds a national promotional event, JCP will take part. When Jockey does its semi-annual sale, at JCP the signage will read: "Now 25% off our Fair + Square price, provided by Jockey."
• Black Friday is "an American institution," and JCP will be participating. "And it'll be a doozy," said Johnson. "We'll have some of the lowest prices in JCPenney history."
• After a year in which JCP has run no promotions, there will be one promotion that runs from Black Friday through Dec. 23 called Merry Christmas America. Although this is a single promotion, a large portion of seasonal merchandise across the store will carry lower prices.
• The $10 offer JCP sent out in October via email and direct mail was a gift, not a coupon. It was also a test. JCP may well do it again. "I don't want to feel like I'm breaking some promises with the retail gods," said Johnson.
• And free in-store haircuts for kids are back. They began Nov. 4 and will be offered every Sunday going forward.
Related Content By Author
1200 Suppliers are Ready for You at Intertextile Shanghai
Home & Textiles Today eDaily
Most Viewed Articles
See the August 2017 issue of Home & Textiles Today. In this issue, we look at the Top 50 Retailing Giants Report, plus Manufacturing: Made in the USA gaining ground; International: Portugal ramping up exports; New products: NY Now home textiles introductions; Outlook: Commentary from H&TT's editors; and Planning: Trade show calendar.