Target ceo reaches out to fearful shoppers
Retail Editor 3 -- Home Textiles Today, December 23, 2013
Minneapolis -Target ceo Gregg Steinhafel posted a video message Friday directed at shoppers concerned about the massive credit card scam that rocked the retailer last week.
Target revealed that about 40 million consumers who shopped at its stores between November 27 and December 15 had their debit and credit card information stolen. Steinhafel's message, posted on the retailers' web site on Friday, seems intent on reassuring shoppers during the last few critical holiday shopping days.
He says in regard to the credit card data breach, "the issue has been identified and eliminated" and also points out that consumers who shopped during the impacted time frame are not necessarily victims of fraud.
Consumers will not be held financially responsible for any credit and debit card fraud and will be offered free credit card monitoring. The company extended a 10% discount for shoppers on Dec. 21 and 22 in the spirit of what Steinhafel called "togetherness."
"We take this crime seriously. It was a crime against Target, our team members, and most importantly, our guests. We're in this together," Steinhafel said.
Not all consumers are feeling the love, however. Three class-action lawsuits have been filed against the retailer for over $5 million in damages, according to USA Today.
Mednick Talks to HTT about Online Trends for Textiles