LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom—Leading British decorative pillow supplier Caldeira Ltd. is rapidly expanding its reach in the global home textiles market.
Founded in 1991 by owner and managing director Tony Caldeira, the company has rapidly expanded beyond the U.K. to become one of the world’s fastest growing home textiles companies, supplying decorative pillows, cushions, throws, chair pads and ready-made curtains to mid-tier and luxury retailers. Under general manager Malcolm Smith, the domestic U.K. business represents approximately 60 percent of the company’s global sales of more than US $20 million; Caldeira has established a presence in more than 20 countries, accounting for the remaining 40 percent of its business.
To support its international expansion, in 2004 Caldeira formed a joint venture company, Caldeira China, with general manager Dai Shu Qin as a 30 percent shareholder. The company has recently invested in a state-of-the-art, 250,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Hangzhou, which enables Caldeira to expand its distribution to mass retailers, offering upscale European designs and high-quality fabrications at volume price points.
Currently, the U.S. represents a relatively small percent of the company’s global business, and earlier this year, Caldeira formed a U.S. subsidiary, Caldeira USA, to tap into the burgeoning U.S. market. Under the direction of general manager Lindsey Foster, the U.S. division opened a permanent showroom in New York City’s 261 Fifth Avenue textile building in January.
Caldeira has hired top international talent to fuel its growth, including veteran home textiles executives and more than 300 skilled employees at its three locations. All three divisions employ designers, computer-aided design artists and product development managers, plus inspection and quality control personnel in both the U.K. and China factories. The company’s manufacturing facilities feature modern carding and blowing machinery, as well as top of the line cutting and sewing equipment. Additionally, Caldeira has installed new IT systems and software for business management, plus a video conferencing system that allows all three divisions to be in daily direct contact.
Caldeira specializes in providing exclusive products for individual clients and works closely with its customers to engineer products to the design, style and price point required by the retailer, while at the same time, offering a secure supply chain that is second to none. The company also is using its new video conferencing system to work directly with retailers on the latest products, offering its renowned upscale European styling at value pricing.
For Your Information:
Key contact: Jeffery Shaffer, National Sales Manager, USA
Web site: www.caldeira.com