December Comps Exceeded Expectations
Home Textiles Today Staff -- Home & Textiles Today, 1/24/2011 5:49:28 AM
NEW YORK - The Johnson Redbook Retail Sales Index was up 2.8% in the first week of January and for the month to date, compared to January 2010, relative to a revised target of a 2.6% gain.
However, month-over-month results showed a 0.5% drop compared to December, relative to a target of a 0.7% drop.
January is a four-week month on the retail calendar ending on January 29th.
The Johnson Redbook said consumers continue to redeem gift cards in the post-Christmas season. Cold weather across the country drove consumers into stores for cold weather clothing. Outerwear and other seasonal clothing ranked high on sales leader lists. Retailers at department stores said consumers were motivated by prices as January clearance sales got under way.
"Some discounters reported that consumption had reverted to more normal patterns, with a focus on basic commodities and food," Johnson Redbook added. "Clearance is the key theme in January, with most retailers planning to bring in new Valentine's Day and spring merchandise from about the middle of the month."
In observance of Martin Luther King Jr. day on Jan. 17, Johnson Redbook noted it will release its scheduled Jan. 18 report on Jan. 19.
Johnson Redbook Index
*Including chain stores and traditional department stores
We would love your feedback!
Most Recent Resources
- Getting the most out of offline leads
- Free Shipping and the Importance of Onsite Promotion
- Should Branded Manufacturers Participate in Flash Sales?
- Rugs 101 - Special Edition
- How Big Is Your Label
- Choosing a Web Site Developer
- Convergence: Tie Your Online & Offline Experience...
- Social Networks to Social Shopping
- Why Brands and Their Retailers are Facebook’s Biggest...
- Web Based Intelligence Gathering
- The Future of Tablets
- Shopatron: Bicycles & eCommerce
- A Guide to Holiday eCommerce Success
- Mattress Buying 101 - Connecting with Consumers
- Designing Your Brand’s Website for eCommerce
- Global Sourcing in 2010: Doing More With Less
- Comparing Four Options for Turning Web Site Traffic into...
- Are You Prepared for the 2009 Holiday Season? A Branded...
- Design, Develop, Deliver: The Three D's to Digitally...